Watch Out, Online Criminals: How to Notice Fraudulent Activity and Save Personal Data
The Rosloto studio is eager to warn — check every detail when you mention personal data. Online criminals are very deceptive.
Today you log in to the website, as usual, tomorrow “a company representative” asks you to follow another link due to the corporal update. With no suspicion, you click the link, enter the personal data, and send it in an unknown direction.
There are a lot of similar examples of how people unwillingly “cooperate” with scammers. Rosloto wants our readers and clients to be aware of these methods and check every single detail when working with any personal information.
One of the most popular ways to deceive a person is to play with the memory. It is very complicated to differentiate a genuine site from a bait. The design looks similar, functionality is the same, and the customer support responds commonly nicely.
How to avoid becoming a target of fishing on a dummy site:
- ensure your connection is encoded (https is the protocol used in the search bar of the browser);
- avoid following the link from unknown sources;
- check the address of the site in case of a redirection;
- use the special software with the protection from suspicious resources;
- in case of a necessity, check the background of the site on Whois IP services.
Today, such popular networks as Telegram, Facebook, Skype, Instagram, and others use very simple addressing methods. Every user is assigned a unique name that can be seen in a search bar. The disadvantage of this method is that scammers can create similar accounts with slight differences in names.
Without a proper check-up, a new consumer of services will not tell the difference apart. The logo is the same, the description can be copied, and the communication could be similarly professional. As soon as criminals receive the desired information, they delete the fake page without the possibility to retrieve the messaging history.
What can you do to avoid communicating with fake accounts:
- check the correctness of the page name at the official site of the company;
- refrain from redirects or any pleas to follow from anywhere other than an authorised page;
- provide no personal data and send no funds without an officially signed agreement or any other proofs of service provision.
Regardless of whether it is your ID data or the bank account number, fraudsters can use them for their benefit. In some cases, even the slipped phone number can cause serious damage.
What fraudsters can do with the stolen data:
- Take microloans at services that require minimum information. With several such credits, you will own a significant amount in the result.
- Send fake fines with their payment details. A scared person usually immediately covers the penalty without clearing the source out.
- Call from behalf of the bank. These “specialists” will ask for more financial information to conduct illegal transactions.
- Order goods with the payment postponement. They pick the purchased item while the store contacts the data owner for the money.
- Register the flight-by-night firm. It is used to hide from taxes or conduct illegal activities with transactions.
As you can see, it is very easy to give up relevant data to fraudsters unless you stay vigilant.
How to ensure you do not give criminals private information:
- be attentive to the spelling of the account or a site you work with;
- avoid redirects from any resources other than an official site;
- never mention unnecessary data without a lawful agreement or any other official document.
Rosloto wants to ensure our clients receive top-quality services. Our experts never inquire about personal details outside the agreements. We ask all our customers to double-check all social network accounts or sites before beginning any activity or correspondence. Contact our company only through verified means.
Check the information used to contact us carefully. It is necessary for your safety.
Fraudsters can use contacts that look like ours to scam customers. Therefore, we ask you to enter only the addresses that are indicated on our official website.
Be careful! Our team is not responsible for the activities of persons using similar contact details.